And it's delicious! You can drink it plain, add flavoring, or use kefir in many different recipes as you would yogurt.
Each box contains two packets of kefir starter with easy-to-follow instructions. The starter culture is also gluten free and non-GMO.
The health benefits of kefir
Kefir is made by fermenting milk with kefir grains composed of lactic acid bacteria, yeast and polysaccharides. This harmonious combination yields health benefits when consumed on a regular basis, especially in regards to supporting a healthy digestive system.*
Kefir has vitamins, minerals and probiotics and contains easily digestible complete proteins.* For the lactose intolerant, kefir's abundance of beneficial yeast and bacteria provide lactase, an enzyme which consumes most of the lactose left after the culturing process.*
Of all of the fermented dairy products, Kefir has likely been relied upon for health and well being the longest.* The local people of Caucasus Mountains are said to have discovered kefir several thousand years ago, believing it was a "miraculous" gift from Mohammad.* The grains were treated like precious jewels, because of their ability to preserve and enhance milk.
Why make your own kefir?
You might be wondering if it's worth it to make your own kefir rather than picking up some from the corner market. Here are just a few compelling reasons to whip up your own batch:
- You know exactly what's in your kefir; you can choose what type and brand of milk or water, which cultures to use, and you can rest assured there are no unhealthy additives or artificial sweeteners.
- Homemade kefir is cheaper store-bought.
- It's good for the environment, as it reduces the need to purchase so many plastic bottles of kefir.
Here are some quick tips to start with your very own Kefir kit:
- Use one packet with one quart dairy milk, juice, or coconut milk or coconut water.
- Cultures at room temperature, 72°-74°F, no appliance required.
- May be re-cultured two to seven times, using a small amount from the current batch to make a new batch.