Our Traditional Yogurt Starter (plain) is a pleasantly tangy, single-use yogurt starter that's easy to use. You can make yogurt at your convenience and freeze the remaining packets for later. With no starter to maintain this culture, it's a great choice for beginners.
Live active cultures (bifidobacterium lactis, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, streptococcus thermophilus) and GMO free!
Each bag contains four packets of starter culture and includes detailed instructions.
What creamy, homemade yogurt can do for you
Yogurt is amazingly healthy and versatile.* It can be used in many recipes from smoothies to baked goods, or simply on its own.
As yogurt comes from milk, it contains beneficial nutrients found in dairy foods, like protein and calcium.*
Even better, yogurt is a natural source of probiotics — "friendly bacteria" that are naturally present in your digestive system.* Live strains of these "good bacteria" are also found in many yogurt products and can support a healthy digestive tract.*
Why make your own plain yogurt?
You might be wondering if it's worth it to make your own yogurt rather than buying it. Here are just a few compelling reasons to whip up your own batch:
- You know exactly what's in your yogurt; you can choose what type and brand of milk, which yogurt cultures to use, and you can rest assured there are no unhealthy additives or artificial sweeteners.
- Homemade yogurt is about half the price of buying plain yogurt in the store.
- It's good for the environment, as it reduces the need to purchase so many little plastic cups of yogurt.
Here are some quick tips to start with your very own yogurt kit:
- Use 1 packet with 1-2 quarts milk. (For larger batches, use 2 packets with 1-4 gallons milk.)
- Cultures at 110ºF using a yogurt maker or other appliance.
- Suitable for use with pasteurized whole milk and with raw dairy milk or non-dairy milk, with special care.