Deliciously rich and tangy, this heirloom, thermophilic starter can be re-cultured indefinitely. Drain whey from the finished product to make thick Greek yogurt or enjoy as-is.
Our Greek Yogurt Starter Culture is gluten free and non-GMO. And because you control the ingredients, you will have peace of mind as to what's in your fresh, homemade yogurt.
Each box contains two packets of yogurt starter culture, and comes with easy-to-follow instructions.
Why make your own Greek yogurt?
You might be wondering if it's worth it to make your own Greek yogurt rather than picking it up from the market. Here are just a few compelling reasons to whip up your own batch:
- You know exactly what's in your yogurt; you can choose what type and brand of milk, which yogurt cultures to use, and you can rest assured there are no unhealthy additives or artificial sweeteners.
- Homemade yogurt is about half the price of buying plain yogurt in the store.
- It's good for the environment, as it reduces the need to purchase so many little plastic cups of yogurt.
Here are some quick tips to start with your very own Greek Yogurt kit:
- Activate one packet using one quart pasteurized milk (store second packet in the freezer as a back-up).
- Cultures at 110ºF using a yogurt maker or other appliance.
- Suitable for use with pasteurized whole milk and with raw dairy milk or non-dairy milk, with special care.
- A small amount of each batch can be used to make the next batch and re-cultured from batch to batch indefinitely.
For an even creamier yogurt consistency, you can make a batch with one part heavy cream to three parts whole milk.
Greek yogurt is delicious with added fruit or natural sweetener, and does wonders when added to many recipes, even in baking.
Fun yogurt fact: The cuisine of ancient Greece included a dairy product known as oxygala (οξύγαλα), which is believed to have been a form of yogurt.